The use of underground cables in order to transmit the power is not new. However the use of these cables has remained quite low in various region of the world. The ultimate goal behind the use of underground cables is just that through this, electrical power can be transmitted in few main ways which are by the use of overhead electrical cables or underground once.
Benefits of Underground Cables:
There are a number of benefits which are associated with the laying of particular types of cables under the ground in order to transmit the electricity. These are a few benefits of underground cables:
- In comparison to overhead cables, these underground cables are much faster as underground electrical cables are not exposed to several dangers which overhead power cables are exposed to.
- The maintenance of underground cables is much cheaper over the course of time in comparison to overhead ones. However the cost of installing underground cables is higher and associated with installation of overhead.
- Once underground cables are installed, there is no necessity to maintain them regularly.
- The underground transmission of electricity is connected with reliability.
Any of these methods can be used on the basis of geographical features of the area in which grounding is supposed to be conducted. The actual type of cable is the second issue, which are used in the process.
Maintenance costs: These are some factors through which the overall costs can be determined which can be incurred in the process of maintaining underground electric transmissions cables.
- The task of detecting a fault in the underground electric transmission line is quite difficult practically along with addressing the problem. That’s why there is necessity for more advanced techniques in order to detect and fix the faults in underground cables which contributes to the overall cost of maintaining underground power transmission lines.
- Upgrading the underground cable is also quite difficult as it includes the installation of new supply lines.