- AC motors: An AC motor is similar to like every other electric motor it converts electrical energy into mechanical energy that is it takes alternating current as its input and convert it into mechanical energy with the help of electromagnetic induction phenomena. AC motors do not use commutators or brushes instead it makes use of stator and rotator. The stator is considered as the static part and the rotator is considered as the rotating part of the motor.
AC motors are divided into two parts:
1) Synchronous motor: It converts the electrical power into mechanical power at synchronous speed.
2)Induction motor: It converts the electrical power into mechanical power with the help of a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. It is further divided into two parts that are single phase induction motor and three phase induction motor.
- DC motors: It takes direct current as an input and converts it into mechanical energy. DC motor contains permanent magnets or electromagnetic winding which produces the magnetic field. DC motor is based on Fleming’s Left-Hand rule. DC motors operate at a fixed speed and work as an energy conservation device.
DC motor is divided into 4 parts :
1)Permanent Magnet DC motors: It uses a magnet to supply flux. These are used in low horsepower applications.
2)Series DC motors: Here coil and armature are connected in series.
3)Shunt DC motors: Here coil is connected in parallel to the armature.
4)Compound motors: It is a combination of series and shunts motor.
- Servo motors: Servo motors are used for the angular rotation purpose that is if we want to rotate any object up to certain angle then we use servo motors. If it uses AC power then it is AC servo motor and if it uses DC then it is DC servo motor. It is used in applications like toy cars, robotics and planes.
- Stepper motor: A stepper motor is a type of DC motor that works in discrete steps. It consists of the stator, rotator and multiple coils which are grouped together to work as a whole. There are four types of the stepper motor which are
1)Permanent magnet stepper
2)Hybrid synchronous stepper
3)Variable reluctance stepper
4)Lavet-type stepping motor