The education of electrical engineering is revolutionized by Digital technology. Large numbers of students are entering engineering schools and gained a strong background in discrete mathematics that is often augmented by knowledge of programming and of microcomputers.
The electrical engineering curriculum has changed to include digital techniques in all major fields. The Engineering discipline especially in electrical department and computer science is growing with a fast pace. A research has been made which says that electrical and electronic engineer’s holds about 300,000 jobs on an average in the country.
Almost every industry has a need to employ electrical engineers. There are certain principle sectors that help in employing computer engineers, electrical engineers and computer scientists specifically, some of them are mentioned below:
- Telecommunications – Engineers are mostly involved in various communication designs with all major varieties of communication systems. It includes telephony, terrestrial, broadcasting, networks, satellite communication across the Internet.
Engineers can develop their interests in communication with various handheld devices and media players. They can also develop devices for the purpose of communication systems, design subsystems and various cities and countries that could help in the improvement of communication security and privacy along with the optimization of communication system performance.
- Energy and Electric Power – Power and Energy engineers deal with energy generation by a variety of methods, including turbine, hydro, fuel cell, solar, geothermal, and wind. They are also responsible for electrical power distribution from source to consumer and within manufacturing plants, offices, hospitals, and laboratories. They design devices such as electric motors, relays, transmission lines, and batteries.
- Computers – The computer industry serves almost all technical sectors, including aerospace, transportation, construction, telecommunications, power, medicine, consumer electronics, education, and automated manufacturing. The industry is strong and growing, taking advantage of new architectures and opportunities to improve efficiency, speed, mobility, and storage capabilities of computer systems.
- Semiconductors – Semiconductor technology is engaged with the development and manufacture of integrated circuits, which are used in numerous devices and systems, from refrigerators and cars to aircraft and satellites. The technology is a chief enabler of the computer and telecommunications industries.
As integrated circuits companies strive for faster and more powerful chips, they seek engineers to investigate new materials, new architectures, and improved packaging.
- Aerospace – Electrical and electronics engineers who work in the aerospace industry design and develop electronics and power equipment for aircraft, helicopters, and spacecraft. Defense and aerospace companies employ hundreds of thousands of engineers focusing on commercial airlines and on R&D for defense and space exploration.
Systems that electrical engineers are likely to work on include displays, control systems, communication systems, and navigation devices.
There are many more sectors available for an electrical engineer to get their employment from that includes Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering, Manufacturing, Services like Entertainment and Financial Engineering, Education and Research, Transportation and Automotive